Monday, December 09, 2019

Eigengrau

At this agued, Cimmerian periphery of existence, how hard it is to conceive, 
Of a day when everything danced, nay, skittered in the blinding, blazing sunbeams, 
The blistering heat underfoot, the plump looseness of the flesh around unfrozen bones, 
The thirst, the undying, relentless thirst; the constant perspiration of supple skin, 
The abandon, the licentiousness, the gluttony obscured by the benevolent rays

Long gone are the colours, the crunchy-crispness, the ripe-juiciness, 
Replaced by a monochromatic greyscale, all’s dry, brittle, withering at the hemline,
Which life is it that’s real I wonder… the heady rush of yesterday did so paint a pretty picture,
And in that intoxicated state, I might (I am almost sure of it) have become a blurry, obfuscated thing, 
Blinded in the summer blaze, deafened by the roaring skies, muted by the esurience of the sultry nights

Now a few moons it’s been since I woke up to find someone else inside my skin,
someone not me, an anti-me... what's the opposite of a shadow?
As the bruised horizon swallowed the wine-infused ocean,
My yesterdays became estranged from my tomorrows,
I’ve lost my way down this anfractuous path---this  web for human spiders

I ache for that which I used to be, 
That voraciousness, that yearning, that appetite for life,
That suppleness, that elasticity, that lightness of spirit,
That hopefulness, that faith, that effervescence of delight,
Am I an imposter now or simply metamorphosed?

All of it settles upon me like a fine film of dust,
This newness, hardness, coldness, starkness,
This greying, sagging, gnawing, clutching,
These implements for a life meant for living, not leaving,
How does someone become a stranger to themselves?

And carry on living, carry on loving, 
Carry on wanting and needing,
Carry on giving and taking,
Carry on thinking and feeling,
Carry on... just carry on?

No comments: